8.14.2014

Late to the Game [5]: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Late to the Game is a series I do featuring books that everybody and their mommy have read…except me. The thing is 99% of the time I have these books but they have just been pushed back on my TBR pile. This won’t be a review of sorts seeing how everyone already knows the basics of the story but more of what I felt and how it affected me. I’ve dedicated this feature to try to put a dent in my pile and also to see if they live up to the hype…good and/or bad.

Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BYR
Format: purchased
Ratings: 5/5

Synopsis
Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

My Thoughts
I loved this book on SO many levels! Although it deals with some tough issues I loved how the road trip was almost like therapy. The chemistry between Amy and Roger was very interesting. I enjoyed how it slowly grew and wasn’t rushed like in some other novels. I felt that we were passengers with them as they explored the country and worked out their issues. As much as I adore books I also enjoy music so finding out that music played a major role in this book was such a highlight for me. The playlists were amazing and I thought they went well with the storyline and the states they travelled through. This is one road trip book that is so wonderful and amazing it’s beyond words. It’s all about healing, life lessons and most importantly finding yourself. Sometimes life’s little detours are way more healing that things that are planned.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, I loved Amy and Rogers Epic Detour! I read it at the beginning of this year, and I agree with everything you said. I wasn’t expecting so many issues to be brought into the story. I was so pleasantly surprised by it actually, it made it feel a more rounded story than I was initially expecting. Great review, Monica, glad you love it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I was expecting one story but got a whole better one than I ever imagine.

      Delete
  2. Same here! :) Loved this book! And road trips. :) Awesome review!

    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was way late to the game with this one, too (I just read it recently) and LOVED it so hard. This book made me road trip desire way worse than before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was like why did I want so long to read it.

      Delete